I started this blog...

as a way of compiling all my families favorite recipes all together in one place.
My daughter asked me if I would write down a certain something I make so
she has it when she grows up and has a family. I thought that was a good idea,
so I decided to combine all our favorites and make one big book. It will be a
work in progress and a way for me to ORGANIZE all the recipes stashed in
the cupboard. And I've realized, I like taking pictures of food!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Creamed Red Potatoes and Peas

We all have food that brings back memories of someone or of some place we've been. This dish is one of those that reminds me of my sweet Grandma Callie. My sis called me Sunday evening to see what I was doing. I proceded to tell her I was trying to figure out what to cook for dinner. She told me she had made Creamed Potatoes and Peas just like Grandma Callie use to make. "Yum" was my response. A little while later here she came at my door with a container full of it for me.... so sweet, just like something Grandma Callie was always doing for someone. And it tasted just like Grandma Callie's, too. I'm sure grandma was smiling from heaven.
4 lbs. new little red potatoes
1 c. butter
1 c. flour
8 c. milk
1 T. salt
1 pkg. frozen peas

Boil potatoes in large pot of water with skins on for about 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside. If potatoes are on the larger side, half or fourth them.
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat and then add flour to make rouge. Stir in milk. Stir constantly to prevent burning, until mixture thickens. Take off heat and add salt. Stir in potatoes. Add peas right before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment