I started this blog...

as a way of compiling all my families favorite recipes all together in one place.
My daughter asked me if I would write down a certain something I make so
she has it when she grows up and has a family. I thought that was a good idea,
so I decided to combine all our favorites and make one big book. It will be a
work in progress and a way for me to ORGANIZE all the recipes stashed in
the cupboard. And I've realized, I like taking pictures of food!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Caramel Apple Cider Cookies

I got this recipe off of Good Things last Fall when a lady made them for one of the cooking segments. Since then I've seen them all over the Internet. Good recipes travel fast. These are a perfect combination of apple cider and caramel. Eat 'em warm right out of the oven for a yummy ooey, gooey caramel center. The caramel sets up a little after they're cooled, but are still soft and yummy. Perfect for Fall or anytime, really... and great for a cookie exchange.
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar (I used 1/2 c. granulated sugar and 1/2 c. brown sugar)
1/2 t. salt
5 packets of a 7.4 oz. box of Alpine Spiced Apple Cider Instant Drink mix -not sugar free (the recipe called for 10, but I used 5 and the flavor was perfect for us.)
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
3 c. flour
1 (14 oz.) bag Kraft Caramels -other brands won't melt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
With mixer, cream butter, sugar, salt and packets of apple cider drink mix, until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs. Add vanilla and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture. Mix until just combined.

Refrigerate for about an hour. (If you're impatient you don't have to do this, but it makes it so much easier to work with.)

When you are ready to bake, unwrap your caramels. Scoop out a rounded cookie scoop-full, about a tablespoon of dough. Flatten the ball of dough slightly in the palm of your hand. Press the unwrapped caramel into the center of dough and seal the dough around it, covering it completely.

Bake 12-14 minutes, or until very lightly browned around the edges. Don't over-bake. Take out of oven and slide the parchment off of the baking sheet right out onto the counter. Cool slightly and enjoy!

Yield: 3 dozen. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment