I started this blog...

as a way of compiling all my families favorite recipes all together in one place.
My daughter asked me if I would write down a certain something I make so
she has it when she grows up and has a family. I thought that was a good idea,
so I decided to combine all our favorites and make one big book. It will be a
work in progress and a way for me to ORGANIZE all the recipes stashed in
the cupboard. And I've realized, I like taking pictures of food!

Friday, October 12, 2012

Potato Bacon Soup

What is better after a long day... on a chilly Fall evening, than a warm bowl of comforting soup?! This is being added as another one of my crock pot favorites.
8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 sm. onion, chopped
6 t. chicken bouillon granules
6 c. water
2 t. garlic powder
1 c. crumbled bacon
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. butter
10 T. flour

Place potatoes, onion, bouillon, water, and garlic powder in crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3 hours... until potatoes are tender.
Right before serving... make a roux: melt butter over medium low heat in a skillet. Add flour, one tablespoon at a time. {I usually measure 10 tablespoons of flour into a bowl and then add it one tablespoon at a time until it's all gone... this way I don't lose count!} Stir constantly with a whisk. Slowly stir in 1 ladle full of hot liquid from the soup. Add another 3 ladles of soup liquid and stir until smooth. Add all back into the crock pot and stir well.
Slowly stir in the cheese, a little at a time, so it doesn't clump. Add in the bacon.
Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment