I started this blog...

as a way of compiling all my families favorite recipes all together in one place.
My daughter asked me if I would write down a certain something I make so
she has it when she grows up and has a family. I thought that was a good idea,
so I decided to combine all our favorites and make one big book. It will be a
work in progress and a way for me to ORGANIZE all the recipes stashed in
the cupboard. And I've realized, I like taking pictures of food!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Rainbow Cake

I made this cake for Dalayni's fourth birthday. I didn't have instructions to follow, so I played it by ear and it turned out perfect. Everything went smoothly and it didn't take long at all to put together for my Layni. She was so happy with it and all my kids and hubby loved it. It was fun to slice into it and see the rainbow of color. The skittles add a yummy fruit flavor and I think it's one of the funnest cakes I've made. Bryson said I should go into the cake decorating business. Uh, no! But he did make me feel good!

1 box yellow cake mix
red, yellow, green and blue food coloring
vanilla or cream cheese frosting
skittles candy
marshmallows
(2) 8 inch round cake pans

Prepare cake mix according to directions on package. Scoop out 1 cup batter into three seperate bowls, so you have four bowls with 1 cup batter in each. Add three or four drops red food coloring in one, red and yellow drops in the second one to make orange, green drops in another and mix well. Leave the fourth one yellow. Grease and flour pans well.
**Pour red mixture in one pan and orange mixture in the other. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for a couple minutes. Turn upside down, carefully remove from pan, red layer first. Repeat with orange layer, placing on top of red layer. Grease and flour each pan again. Repeat steps above with yellow and green layers. Let cool completely. I put the cake in the fridge until it was cold, so it would ice easier. Add blue food coloring to icing. Ice cake. Decorate with skittles and marshmallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment