I started this blog...

as a way of compiling all my families favorite recipes all together in one place.
My daughter asked me if I would write down a certain something I make so
she has it when she grows up and has a family. I thought that was a good idea,
so I decided to combine all our favorites and make one big book. It will be a
work in progress and a way for me to ORGANIZE all the recipes stashed in
the cupboard. And I've realized, I like taking pictures of food!

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Chicken Pot Pie

Makes two pies.

4 cups cooked shredded chicken
2 cups diced potatoes
1 3/4 cup diced carrots
1 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 3/4 t. salt
3/4 t. pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup frozen peas
2 pkgs. refrigerated pie crust

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan, add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook covered 8-10 minutes, drain.

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, and potato mixture. Remove from heat.

Place pie crusts in pie plates. Add filling. Place remaining pie crusts on top. Trim, seal, and flute edges. Cut slits in top.

Bake 35-40 minutes. Let sit 15 minutes before cutting.

Freezer option: Cover and freeze unbaked pies. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pies on baking sheets; cover edges loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees bake 70-80 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment