I started this blog...

as a way of compiling all my families favorite recipes all together in one place.
My daughter asked me if I would write down a certain something I make so
she has it when she grows up and has a family. I thought that was a good idea,
so I decided to combine all our favorites and make one big book. It will be a
work in progress and a way for me to ORGANIZE all the recipes stashed in
the cupboard. And I've realized, I like taking pictures of food!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Stuffed Green Peppers

I made my last batch of salsa, using up the last of the green peppers from our garden before it freezes. I  had a few left so I made stuffed peppers for dinner. I've had a good crop of peppers again this year. I wasn't sure if my picky eaters would like them, but my mouth has been watering for some. I served them with french bread, and well... the hubby went bonkers over them. And guess what... my kids liked them, too! Win, win!!! They were tasty.
1 lb. ground beef or turkey, cooked and crumbled
1/4 c. chopped onion {I used 1 T. dried onion flakes}
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 egg, beaten
2 c. cooked brown rice
4-6 green bell peppers {I used 4 1/2}
1 can diced tomatoes, any flavor you desire {I used 1 pint of my bottled stewed tomatoes}
1 sm. can tomato sauce
1/2 c. water {I used 1/3 cup, because the home canned tomatoes have more juice in them than the store bought cans}
salsa
shredded cheese
sour cream, optional

Cook meat. Add onion and seasoning. {I then took out half, because I thought it would be way to much filling for the amount of peppers I had... turned out to be the perfect amount.}
Stir in egg and rice.
Place tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water in bottom of 13x9 baking dish.
Cut peppers in half, lengthwise; remove seeds and membrane. Fill each half with meat mixture and place on top of tomatoes.
Spoon a tablespoon of salsa on top of each pepper.
Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
Cover with cheese and place under broiler for 1-2 minutes, no longer. Watch carefully so they don't burn.
Dollop with sour cream, if desired.

Out of the oven, before the cheese.
Final product... one w/o cheese for my little picky eater who doesn't like cheese :)

No comments:

Post a Comment