I started this blog...

as a way of compiling all my families favorite recipes all together in one place.
My daughter asked me if I would write down a certain something I make so
she has it when she grows up and has a family. I thought that was a good idea,
so I decided to combine all our favorites and make one big book. It will be a
work in progress and a way for me to ORGANIZE all the recipes stashed in
the cupboard. And I've realized, I like taking pictures of food!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hearty Italian Sausage Soup

I got this recipe off of a saltine cracker box. I tweaked it a little bit, adding a couple other ingredients {carrots and mushrooms}. It was a hit with my family. It's a colorful, savory soup. Perfect for Fall, which is right around the corner... although you wouldn't know it with the heat wave we've been having this week.
1 lb. ground Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or 2 T. minced garlic
1 c. carrots, diced or shredded
2 c. sliced mushrooms
1 t. olive oil
4 c. chicken broth
2 c. water
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
1 (14.5 oz.) Italian-style stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 c. Bowtie or Rotini pasta, uncooked
2-3 c. baby spinach leaves
Shredded Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan
Saltine Crackers

Brown sausage in large pot. Add onion and carrots; saute until transluscent and semi soft. Stir in mushrooms, garlic and oil. Saute 5 minutes.
Add broth, water, beans, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta; cook 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
Stir in spinach; cover. Let stand about 5 minutes.
Serve with grated cheese and crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment